Family Class Sponsorship

Thanks to the Family Class category of Canadian immigration, Canadian citizens and permanent residents may well have the option to sponsor immediate family members for Canadian immigration.

In order for a Family Sponsorship application to be effective and successful, both the applicant (sponsor) in Canada and their family member (sponsored) must meet specific immigration conditions.

Spouse or Common Law Partner Sponsorship

Who is eligible to be a sponsor?

An applicant may sponsor certain relatives to come live and work in Canada as well as become a permanent residence if the applicant is:

  • At least 18 years old;
  • A Canadian Citizen, or Permanent Resident (living in Canada);
  • The applicant cannot have been sponsored to Canada as a spouse within the last 5 years;
  • The applicant has a clean criminal record as well as never gone through a process of bankruptcy nor under a removal order.
  • The applicant has never received social assistance for a reason other than a disability
  • The applicant has never failed to pay an immigration loan, a performance bond or family support payments.

Who is eligible to be sponsored?

In order to qualify for permanent residence, the main applicant and any dependents must not be inadmissible to Canada.

Dependents that may be considered inadmissible under Canada’s immigration law are those that:

  • Are a security risk,
  • Have committed human or international rights violations,
  • Have been convicted of a crime, or have committed an act outside Canada that would be a crime,
  • Have ties to organized crime,
  • Have a serious health problem,
  • Have a serious financial problem,
  • Lied in their application or in an interview,
  • Do not meet the conditions in Canada’s immigration law, or
  • one of their family members is not allowed into Canada.

The applicant may sponsor:

The main applicant can sponsor his spouse, common-law partner or conjugal partner if:

  • they are at least 18 years old and above
  • the relationship is sincere, genuine and was not entered into for the sake of receiving a permanent resident status in Canada. A solid proof of such a relationship may be through mutual communications through emails and messages, mutual photos from different times, marriage certificate, joint back account, etc.

In case the main applicant spouse or common-law partner is applying in the Spouse or Common-law Partner in Canada class, they are required to be already residing with the main applicant in Canada.

Notice:  A conjugal partner in the context of a sponsor, refers to a foreign national living outside Canada who has been in a conjugal relationship with the sponsor for at least one year.